Introduction to Solar Water Heating
Introduction To Solar Water Heating
Find out more about the benefits of solar water heating.heating | solar
One of the biggest uses of electricity, gas and oil is the heating of water in the home, and in offices, schools and hospitals etc. Solar water heating
is a very simple and efficient way to grab energy from the sun and use it. Solar water heaters concentrate diffused solar radiation into thermal energy.
A solar water system consists of a solar collector
and a storage tank
. The solar colector is usually a flat rectangular box (1 sqm per person in the household) mounted on the roof so that it faces South (for northern hemisphere dwellers). The box has a transparent cover made of strong glass or plastic through which the sun's rays enter. Inside the solar collector a thin copper pipe snakes up and down and left and right across the box. Behind the copper pipe is reflective foil and then insulation so that the suns energy does not escape. Water or anti-freeze is pumped through the copper pipe and is heated by the sun's energy. The hot liquid is then pumped through a coil of pipe in a standard hot water storage tank/boiler. When cold water enters the tank it is pre-heated by the coil and so less energy is required to heat up the tank of water to a usable temperature by the boiler. Most systems work well even when the ambient temperature is well below zero and can save 20% off your water heating bill even in the depths of winter.
A typical system, for example 4sqm of collectors for a household will lead to savings of two-thirds on previous water heating bills and is environmentally friendly.
Another type of system which is becoming more common thanks to its increased efficiency is an Evacuated Tube Solar Water Heater
. This is made up of an array of evacuated double glass-walled tubes which each have a space in the centre containing a copper heat tube
. Around 93% of solar energy hitting the tube is absorbed and used to heat water; the remaining 7% is reflected. Thanks to this high efficiency prices for these systems start from just 30 pence per Watt of energy required.
Pictured above is a DIY Solar Water Heater
. Find out how to Make Your Own Solar Water Heater
Article Last Modified: 12:00, 20th Dec 2006
Comment on this Article
If you have any comments on this article, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Recommended Related Articles
People who read this article also enjoyed the following articles:Simple Solar Water Heating
Make a simple solar water heater with easy to find materialsArticle Last Modified: 13:17, 30th Jun 2008heating | solar | waterBuild a Concentrated Solar Water Heater
Plans for building a cheap advanced solar water heating systemArticle Last Modified: 07:54, 8th Apr 2010heating | solar | waterDIY Solar Water Heating Prototype
Follow the construction of a successful DIY solar water heating prototypeArticle Last Modified: 15:16, 19th Aug 2008solar | heating | waterEvacuated Tube Solar Water Heating
Learn about the most efficient way to use the sun to heat waterArticle Last Modified: 11:51, 21st Jul 2008heating | solarThermosyphon Solar Water Heating
Find out how a Thermosyphon Solar Water Heating System worksArticle Last Modified: 16:15, 3rd Nov 2008heating | solar | waterDimmable Energy Saving Lightbulbs
Find out more about low energy light bulbs which can be used with standard dimmer switchesArticle Last Modified: 14:36, 3rd Jan 2013lighting | energy efficiency | general | shoppingConcentrated Solar Power
Find out about CSP - an alternative to PV solar panels and oilArticle Last Modified: 11:47, 8th Jan 2007solarSolar Water Heating Pump Controller
Build an electronic pump controller for a solar water heating systemArticle Last Modified: 11:33, 9th Jul 2007water | solar | electronicsDIY Solar Water Heating
Build Your Own DIY Solar Water Heating PanelArticle Last Modified: 15:37, 21st Apr 2006heating | solarSolar Panels on eBay
Find out about the solar panels on sale on eBayArticle Last Modified: 17:00, 29th Nov 2012solar | shopping